3.06.2006

Ups and Downs

Stevan is safely home, back to Ft. Carson, Colorado. He called us from his freshly purchased cell phone to say he was at the mall buying some civilian clothes. He couldn't wait to get out of his uniform. While they're in Iraq, they have to wear a uniform 24/7. I was immediately reminded of what an easy-going person he really is. It takes so little to make him happy. New clothes and the opportunity to call home whenever he wants. :) I don't think he'll have any trouble adjusting to life in the States again. I told everyone I saw yesterday that my son was home...the clerk at the grocery store, the barrista where I get my coffee, the guy at the gas station. I'm a dork. And a very proud mom.

On the downside, my mom's taken a turn for the worse. She has dementia which up until now has been pretty manageable. Her short-term memory is bad, really bad, like not remembering what she had for breakfast, or who visited her yesterday. But last night, her caregiver called to say she'd regressed about 60 years, and was having a "hissy fit" and acting like an insolant teenager. She was ordering people out of "her house" and cursing like a drunken sailor. I'm on my way to visit her and praying really hard that she knows who I am. I can handle a lot, but I don't know what I'll do if she doesn't recognize me. If you're the praying kind, please pray.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

oh Michelle so happy to hear that your son is home safe and sound. I was in the USAF and believe me wearing "real" clothes again is the BEST feeling!
Sorry to hear about your mom. My grandma is in the same exact state. Her dementia is so bad. Truly is heartbreaking. If you ever need to chat. Just email me. Although I am sure you have a great support system in place.
Have a wonderful day!

Court