7.25.2008

Done any dumpster diving lately?

Why yes, as a matter of fact, I have. As I was leaving Bishop's Attic in Palmer yesterday (with a cart load of treasures!) I saw this cool old coat rack thingy leaning against the back of the building. At first I decided to just pass it by, since I spent my junk budget for the week already, but something told me to go back and ask about it. I knocked on the back door and asked the people sorting donations how much it was, and they said "take it, it's yours!"! Score! The old, pitted mirror is duct taped to the back and there's a serious crack in the top that'll need wood glue and some time in clamps, but I love the whole "feel" of it. It reminds me of something you'd see in a farmhouse. Stay tuned for the transformation pics!
I won't bore everyone with the mundane details of just how $hitty our summer has been, or how cold it's been, or just how much the deluge of rain has taken its toll on my poor gardens. Wait, I think I just did. Apologies. But it's all anyone can talk about lately here in Alaska. That and the insane price for a gallon of gas.
A few of my perennials have managed a meager couple of blooms, despite the conditions. My poor blue poppies. If a flower could frown, this is what it would look like.
I was very surprised to see a bloom on my Gardenia. After reading how they are pretty darn "fussy", I resigned myself to just appreciate it for it's gorgeous, glossy foliage. And it blessed me with a single, super-fragrant blossom!
And after 3 years in this spot, my Goat's Beard finally decided to show me it's namesake. Love that spikey, feathery thingy. Sorry these pictures are so dark, but we haven't seen the sun in ages.

Hang in there, Alaska! I think I see the sun peeking out!

No comments: